Top 5 Time Travel Methods
What I Did This Week:
Wesley: What I did First
- Played Tomb Raider. FANTASTIC game with a good plot and great graphics. Love the new Lara Croft as an actual person. Hate the QTEs but sadly that’s part of this franchise.
- Dealt with a massive fruit fly infestation.
- Brewed my Oktoberfest Steam Lager.
- Played Bocce Ball.
- Got my first hangover in a long time.
- Finished Arrested Development. Season 4 is my favorite. Cinco De Quatro!
- - Kerbals
- Magic – New game play
- New cards
Top 5 – #5:
Jeffrey: Mechanical device
Wesley: Natural time holes/eddies
- Time Bandits
- For this to work in a story, you need either a map of locations or a device that will detect them. Unless you’re going to do a one way trip.
Top 5 – #4:
Wesley: Long-term medically-induced hibernation
- Forever Young
- Aliens, even
- This has 2 things going for it:
- First, it’s the most realistic time travel, as we can actually do it today. Technically your freezer does it to your food.
- Second, it’s truly one-way. You are officially stuck in the future once you do this. Unless of course that future has a different mode of time travel.
Jeffrey: Magic Object
- Time Turner/Hot Tub
Top 5 – #3:
Wesley: Random unexplained side effect to FTL travel
- Star Trek
- Let’s face it: This one’s just silly. A bunch of writers got in a room and said “We need a time travel episode!” and while they all got excited about it, another one said “Wait, how will it work exactly?”
- The room got quiet, until finally one guy said, “Solar flares?”
- There was a pause, while they all looked at each other. Then, smiling the Head Writer said “Solar Flares! Genius!” and they continued as they had before.
Jeffrey: Geolocical occurence
- Lost Island/Cave of Time
Top 5 – #2:
Wesley: Device that travels through time
- The Time Machine
- Back To The Future Delorean
- The Time Turner
- This has the most potential for a long-term show or series devoted to time travel because there’s permanence to the device. You’ve always got it with you.
- Until it breaks, or someone steals it, or whatever, of course
Bob: Time Travel Methods: Magical Device (Such as a Map)
- - Or, yes Jeffrey, a Time Turner
Jeffrey: The Star Trek/Slingshot Method
- With a dash of reality, I like it.
Top 5 – #1:
Wesley: Device that causes others to travel
- 12 Monkeys
- Quantum Leap
- Red Dwarf Photographs
- I like this one the best because of the danger aspect. You just might not be coming back.
- Though the Primer devices are really different than the others, and almost could be in their own category.
Top 5 – Honorable Mention:
Wesley: Honorable Travel Methods
- Magical or super-powers: Hiro from Heroes.
Bob: Time Travel Methods: Dishonorables
- - More like dishonorable: Slingshot around the Sun.
- - – WTF?
- - – - Yes, that’s exploiting a weird physics loophole that doesn’t really exist
- - – - – But it’s a terrible example
- - Even more dishonorable: Spinning the world backwards by flying around it really fast
- - – You know what? I’m going to retroactively put weird physics loopholes back in 5th place
Jeffrey: The Unmentionables
- Space gate/worm hole